Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Glow of Arunima



I met her yesterday and I can still feel the grip of her hand on my pinkie. Her little hand, small but firm. Today morning as I walked to my workplace, I looked at her and thanked God for the experience. She gripped my imagination when all was done... and decided to stay on. Sweet Destiny’s Child. God Bless!

It often happens to me. Nothing works according to plan. Life always leaves a mark on me unexpectedly. I am not sure if it does unintentionally too. A colleague invited me over for a Spider Trail organised by the Bombay Natural History Society. I roped in another friend. It was supposed to be a morning filled with spiders and clogged with webs, with some wasps and dragon-flies thrown in for excitement. And so it was. A novice to the way nature trails are conducted but my skill in gardening and penchant for hiking pulled me in. I loved the idea and the search ;)

But then something unexpected happened. Almost towards the end of the trail, a small girl came to me to show me a spider in a glasscase. I called out Virgil, my friend to have a look. “Conductor”, I called out. But she stopped me. She told me, “I will go and show it to your brother.” I have some reservations in calling Virgil my brother. But before I could even comprehend what this babe had said, she ran through the stony track for about 50 metres and showed it to Virgil. After receiving the usual gasps of wonder, she headed back to me and held my little finger. She gripped it so tight that I could feel myself being pulled down to her height. I wanted to bend down and smile... but she didn’t allow me to. She began to walk.

Then, it was her running all over the place. Falling and scraping her jeans and yet, standing back and getting back to business – running. The last 20 minutes were spent with her firm grip on my finger. She never let go except when she crossed a piece of mucky land on her own without help. She didn’t want me to carry her. Four years old, Arunima – energetic and independent. A spirit so beautiful that I can be mesmerised for ages. Is God wonderful or is Arunima awe-inspiring?

Since I’ve returned from the Jesuit Novitiate, I feel an aversion for marriage (for myself). Even the idea of my own children doesn’t seem to be worth anymore. I feel like I am not meant for either. No husband-ship for me and no Father-hood. I desire a life of a hermit. My friends would disagree. May be I would too... but the idea predominantly captures my long-term aspirations.  But this girl asked me why through unspoken words. I felt like I would love to have the grip of a child like that of Arunima for posterity. Then, what confuses me or what makes me rigid. She was loud to me and yet, no one heard those words but me. Her name means – the red glow of dawn. Will she spell a new dawn for me? Only time will tell. 

I don’t know who she is and where she lives. May the mystery be alive for me always... and in due time, I will meet her again someday... when I am ready to be challenged for some more questions! Till then, may God will accept my humble prayers for her... whenever I pray...

No comments:

Post a Comment